We all know how uncomfortable dry and cracked lips are, not just for the one doing the kissing but also for the one being kissed. There are a few things you can do to ensure your lips are in prime kissable condition.
- First, you want to ensure you are exfoliating your lips in a gentle manner. The easiest way to do this is dampen a face washer with warm water and gently remove the dead skin using gentle circular motions. You can do this daily, however, you don’t want to overdo this. The skin on your lips is thin and too much “scrubbing” will cause you more problems
- Apply lip balm at night before bed. This will ensure the balm is on your lips conditioning them while you are not tempted to lick your lips or go eat, plus sleep time is when your body is in repair mode, so it is the perfect time to moisturise
- Apply lip balm during the day. Seems obvious, but you need to do this regularly so keep your lip balm handy. As we are licking our lips and eating during the day, the lip balm we use is being consumed. Therefore, it is especially important to make sure you are using an all-natural lip balm particularly as we consume approximately 2kg of lip balm/lipstick in our lifetime!!
- Apply lip balm to your lips approximately 20-30 minutes prior to applying either a moisturising lipstick or lip stain (avoid long-lasting lipsticks as they dry your lips out)
- Finally, things to think of when choosing a lip balm. We previously wrote a blog about what to look for in a balm, however you also want to avoid anything that can cause skin irritation such as salicylic acid, camphor, menthol, and fragrance
Now that your lips are pucker perfect, you can go out and confidently smooch the ones you love.